23 July, 2011

Preserving - Valarie's Yummy Pasta Sauce

ing Australia Website (here). This website is well worth the look if you are at all in to growing your own food and storing it. Valarie provides a great wealth of information including books and kits for purchase. I recently purchased a preserving starter kit from her which included a jar lifter, magnetic lid lifter, preserving book and an assortment of new lids for jars I have collected. Green Living Australia also sells kits to make your own cheese (not brave enough for that one yet).

I bought a box of tomatoes from the vege man yesterday and am about to use this recipe a second time. I particularly like this recipe because it produces a rich red sauce. The recipe I used back in February from my Thrifty Cook Book is lovely but has a lot of butter in it and it is more of an orangey colour. This sauce is my favourite so far, however when unable to get capsicums I would use the previous recipe.


Valarie's Pasta Sauce

5kg tomatoes
5 medium onions
4 medium capsicums
1 tbs Basil
1 tbs salt
1 tbs oregano
4 tbs sugar

1. Chop tomatoes, onions, capsicums and place in a large pot.

2. Bring to the boil.

3. Reduce heat and simmer.

4. Add salt, basil and oregano.

5. Add sugar 1 tablespoon at a time, stir and wait 15 minutes.

6. Cook 2 - 3 hours.


When cooked pour into hot sterilised jars, put  lids on and preserve in a boiling water bath (in boiling water in a vacola unit) for 20 minutes. Allow jars to cool in the water, a vacuum will be created as the water and contents of the jars cool.

I will take some pics as I make it and load them later!!

Emily xoxo

1 comment:

  1. HI Emily

    We are missing you. Didn't see you at craft and hope you are okay.

    Deb

    ReplyDelete