31 July, 2011

One month and counting........

............until SPRING! I'm so excited because.....this year I have a plan. A master plan. A plan to provide my husband and I with fresh healthy produce throughout spring and summer and also preserve enough so that we do not need to purchase as much tinned foods throughout winter next year. I have been mulling over my plan for some time and have a few steps already in place..

I have my garden beds in place. I am planting green manure crops into two of my garden beds in order to boost the organic content of the soil. I also have my eye on a compact small greenhouse to get a head start with my spring vegetables.

The Plan

To grow as much of my own produce as possible and preserve or dry it for the coming year. This has a dual purpose - firstly to save money and secondly to reduce the chemicals we are eating.

August:
  • Plant green manure crops into empty garden beds.
  • Plant out raspberries and new plants from garden show into large pots.
  • Purchase small greenhouse.
  • Finish harvesting winter vegetables.
  • Plant out beetroot and lettuce seedlings.
  • Plant another polystyrene box with carrot seeds.
  • Plant the following seeds in seed raising mix in the greenhouse and keep protected until after the last frost: amaranth, artichoke, basil, beans, beetroot, burdock, capsicum, carrots, celeriac, celery, chilli, chives, coriander, cucumber, eggplant, fennel, kohlrabi, kale, lettuce, yam, potatoes, pumpkin, radish, rocket, rockmelon, rosella, shallots, silverbeet, spring onion, squash, sunflower, corn, tomato, watermelon (always wanted to try growing these babies) and zucchini. (According to the Gardening Australia vege guide, some of these can be planted out during August...so I'll see how I go).
  • Deepen the front gardens gradually and add Magic Mix to plant vegetables in amoungst the flowers. Leave the gardens with the sweet peas as they are for the time being.

September:
  • Dig green manure crop into garden beds
  • After last frost, transfer seedlings to home garden beds or to gardens at the community garden.
  • Set up compost bin.
  • Organise a storage area for preserves and jams.
  • Replant seeds a month after the ones planted in August to ensure continued produce.
Other jobs:
  • Take regular photos
  • blog about the progress and process
  • keep track of produce and make sure to find recipes to use all fresh produce.
  • take surplus which can't be preserved or dried to the Roma Farmer's and Artisans Market to swap at the Community Garden Stall.
  • Summer: purchase stone fruits from Farmer's market and Sam the vegie man to preserve for throughout the year.
To be continued.....

No comments:

Post a Comment