08 June, 2011

Catching up....

Wow what a crazy few weeks....has it been weeks or only a week since my last post...I don't know. Anyway it is that crazy time of year when I am struggling to get my reports done so that I can enjoy the last few weeks of term.

So lots has happened around home since I last blogged. The chooks have settled  in well and I have started collecting eggs!!!

First egg!!!

Becc and I had a sewing night and made kick ass gardening aprons with lots of useful pockets!! And we started a couple of other aprons at craft.

My new arpon!! So funky!!

First egg collected and put in the 'egg' pocket!

I found some wire to make a temporary run for the chooks for late in the arvo on the weekends. This way they can get into the dirt and scratch around - their normal cage has a cement floor but it is covered in a nice thick layer of hay. When they can find their way back to the roost, I will let them wander freely in our yard, but I'll lock Nugget (our staffy) in one of the other sheds. One step at a time... making sure they won't roost in a tree!


Former cat carrier, now nesting box! The preferred choice - over the mower catcher.



Having a dust bath!

Becc and I have also joined the Roma Community Garden and have already weeded our plot, helped weed three large raised garden beds, fixed leaking sprinkler system and harvested a bumper crop of cherry tomatoes!!!

Newly cleared raised garden beds! See all the weeds in the wheel barrow!!

Mmmm cherry tomatoes!

Salad made with cherry tomatoes from the Community Garden, lettuce from my garden...feels sooo good to be growing some of our own food!!!

I think one of the great things about my friendship with Becc is that we have a similar dream/plan for our families. We are both keen to grow as much of our own food as possible to lessen our food miles. We want to try to find organic foods, buy wholesale to save money and buy organic fed beef, lamb and chicken where possible. We have started gardens at home and joined the community garden to meet like minded people in our town. We love cooking for our family and providing them with healthy wholesome meals. How cool is that!! To find such a beautiful friend that I can share the excitement and disappointments that experimenting with gardening can bring! I consider myself extremely lucky to have such a friend in my life and in the same town!!! You can read about Becc's adventures in her garden here. She is a real inspiration!!

I have a few other cool things to blog about, but I will save them for another day!!

Emily xoxo

No comments:

Post a Comment